Architect: Cassion Castle Architects
This building dates from 1908 and is one of the earliest reinforced concrete houses in Britain. Located on a beach near Brighton, it was constructed directly onto the shingle, which was also used as aggregate, and tram-tracks were encountered alongside plain bar reinforcement in the concrete.
The project involved the restoration of the fabric after years of neglect, as well as radical alterations to the structure. These included the removal of the 600mm thick walls in order to provide uninterrupted views of the English Channel. The steel transfer structures required were thoughtfully detailed and have been left exposed.